It's more than just dates on a timeline.
Heritage Bank’s roots run deep in the tri-county community. Since the early 1900’s when it was operated as the Bank of Trivoli, the focus has remained on personal service and a dedication to the people and businesses that have become a part of our long-standing relationship with Central Illinois.
The evolution of Heritage
When the bank was sold to the organizers of the State Chartered Trivoli State Bank, the first president was Charles Fremont Opie, the great-grandfather of the current Chairman and CEO, M. Scott Hedden. The bank survived through the Great Depression while many of the neighboring banks failed.
Upon Charles Fremont Opie’s death in 1939, his son, Fremont Opie, Jr., succeeded him as president. Fremont Opie, who began working at the bank in June 1921, was president from 1939 until his retirement in 1986. His daughter, Shirley Hedden, joined the bank in 1945, retired in 1992, and served as a director until 2015.
In June of 1968, the bank moved to its present location at the corner of Route 116 and Trivoli Avenue. In 1994, Trivoli Bancorp, Inc., parent company of Trivoli State Bank, acquired the Hanna City State Bank and merged it with Trivoli State Bank and changed the name to Heritage Bank of Central Illinois.
Scott Hedden has been with the bank since 1973, he became president in 1986 and is currently Board Chairman and CEO. Under his leadership, the bank grew from 1 branch in Trivoli to 6 branches throughout Central Illinois. He attributes the banks growth to several factors. “Heritage has a strong set of corporate values that demands customers be treated fairly, courteously and competently,” he says. “We also care about our customers and community and believe in treating people the way we like to be treated. In addition, we have the pride and leadership of our management group and the commitment and dedication of our officers and employees.”
The bank opened its first Peoria location on Willow Knolls Road in 1997, in response to the increasing business and residential growth on Peoria’s north side. This branch was followed by the Prospect Road building in 1998, which moved in 2005 to become the anchor tenant of the new Heritage Square development in Peoria Heights.
In 1999, Heritage purchased the Norwest bank branch on Harmon Highway. And in order to serve its customer base in Tazewell County, the bank has a branch on the first floor of the Cullinan Properties building (formerly GEM Terrace) in East Peoria.